Chủ Nhật, 5 tháng 4, 2015

No Makeup for a Month // the results of #nomakeupmarch


As a thought experiment, I wore no makeup from mid-February to the end of March. I explain why in my first #nomakeupmarch post (see here). As an exception, I attended 10 events in 13 days which equated to about 35 days total. I did not, however, wear any makeup on my birthday. 

I did a bit of thinking during my break from makeup and these are my conclusions: 
  1. Nobody actually cares if you wear makeup or not. I wasn't being treated any differently with or without. The only real difference is that nobody's noticing that I'm lacking in the ridiculously bright coloured lipstick. 
  2. Makeup makes your skin seem worse than it actually is. My skin is not as bad as I thought it was. Relative to wearing a heavy coverage foundation that provides doll-like perfection makes you feel like all your imperfections are a big deal when the fact of the matter is that there are people without food and here you are complaining about a puny pimple or that a spot on your skin is a hair darker than the rest of your face. 
  3. No makeup = better skin. Pre-no-makeup, my skin was having a bout of breakouts around my mouth and on my cheeks. Now, my skin's just fine on it's own. No concealer necessary. 
  4. Without makeup, being lazy is still not okay. When you go outside, there's chemicals and pollutants and all sorts of yucky stuff. So, it's still necessary to cleanse and moisturize. When I skipped a face wash my skin wasn't feeling so great. 
  5. Sleep and diet show on your face. No sleep Stephanie = dehydrated skin, pimples and puffy eyes. On the other hand, lots of beauty sleep = fresh faced and bouncy skin. 
  6. I didn't pick at zits/pimples as often. Knowing I wasn't able to cover up an irritated area on my face, I picked at my imperfections less.  
  7. I became disinterested in reading/writing blog posts and watching Youtube videos about makeup. Maybe it's better that I wasted less time watching people put makeup on. It's hard to take part in mass consumption if you're not actually consuming. Hence why boys don't know the difference between foundation, concealer and primer. 
  8. I missed makeup things - like having thick, curled eyelashes and wearing a different shade of my-lips-but-better every day of the week.


Overall, it was an interesting experience. I'm not saying that wearing makeup is good or bad, but it's definitely a positive thing to take a short break. I won't stop wearing makeup or change up my routine drastically. However, I'm fully confident that if I lost all my makeup in a mysterious fire or got stuck on a desert island, I would be able to survive.



How long could you ditch your makeup?

Facebook || Twitter || Bloglovin || Instagram

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét