Thứ Năm, 4 tháng 12, 2014

FOOD: Makkal Chon Korean BBQ

Long time no food review.

Seemingly, all of the best ethnic restaurants in Toronto are tucked away in some of Scarborough's sketchiest strip malls. Such is the case with Makkal Chon, tiny Korean restaurant known for its deliciously authentic food. Unknowingly, my parents and I had walked into the second Best Korean Restaurant in Toronto according to blogTO

Stonebowl Bi Bim Bap (hodgepodge of rice, eggs, carrots, beansprouts, cucumber, mushrooms and beef) 

Bulgogi on a hot plate (marinated beef served with rice)  
Makkal Chon is tiny and slightly divey (given the location and minimalist decor). My parents and I went for a late lunch (around 1pm) on a weekday. About half of the seating was filled, so I could imagine that dinner on a weekend could be disastrous. Service was minimal but fast and attentive when necessary. The food came out within less than 15 minutes. 

For the three of us, we ordered two dishes with prices ranging from $9.95 to $10.95. The complimentary banchan (appetizers) were very generous. There were 8 offerings including eggplant, jap chae (glass noodles), kim chi, sugar-coated potatoes, and some other pickled veggies I couldn't quite figure out. Surprisingly, I actually liked the kim chi at Makkal Chon. It was more mild than what I'd had previously, rather than being overly sour or pungent. 

The Bi Bim Bap met my expectations to a tee. That being said it was pretty darn tasty, especially the pieces of crunch rice that stick to the sides of the bowl. Everything came piping hot inside a stone bowl and tasted a little plain until I doused it all in spicy sauce (as I typically find with Bi Bim Bap). 

As for the Bulgogi (served with purple and white rice), it was flavourful and not dry but slightly too sweet for my tastes. Bulgogi is a grilled, thinly-sliced beef, marinated with soy sauce, sugar, seasame oil, and garlic. By those standards, it was pretty on point. 





Overall, Makkal Chon was really good. Good flavours, tasty kim chi, and a ton of banchan. I'm slightly obsessed with Korean food and Makkal Chon is a quick 15 minute drive from my house, one of the only Korean restaurants in close proximity. I'll definitely be back again to try more!


Makkal Chon on Urbanspoon

Food purchased by my mommy and daddy :) 


Facebook || Twitter || Bloglovin || Instagram

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét